We are living in an internet era where the technology is emerging with its trends day by day. Convenience, reach, cost, personalization, social are some of the benefits which we enjoy via internet. But what about security! Nowadays, there are many people who are becoming victims of internet frauds. One such internet fraud is ‘Phishing’.
Have you ever noticed a mail in your mailbox that want you to click a specific link and want to enter all your personal details like bank account no, your passwords, and credit card numbers? If so, then you might have come across phishing attack.
Phishing, an example of social engineering techniques is carried out by email spoofing and it often directs users to enter details at a fake website whose looks are almost identical to the authorized one. Link manipulation, filter evasion, website forgery, and phone phishing are the four types of phishing techniques.
However, user can identify the phishing scam by some signs. For e.g., such type of mails include the urgent language like 'you must click the link below', or the greetings or want your personal information to enter. So it is very important to get rid off such type of phishing attacks so that no one can trap our personal valuable information.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR PHISHING ATTACK:
- Don't give your personal information to anyone: The first and most important point to avoid phishing is not to give your valuable personal information top anyone who requests for it.
- Make sure of using secure web server: While availing online services, please make sure that you are using secure website which includes “https://” in its web address. Don't give your sensitive information on websites which includes “http://” in their respective URL.
- Be suspicious while answering emails: These days there are not any bank or financial institutions which requests for your personal information via email. If you found any email in your mailbox requesting for your important personal information then it is definitely a phishing attack.
- Use of Phishing filter: Make use of fishing filter in your browser to avoid phishing scams.
- Use up to date browser and OS: Always use up to date computer's antivirus, spyware, browser, and Windows security patches.
- Make use of updated antivirus and firewall: It is often found that some phishing attempts install malicious software named as keyloggers on your computer system. So it is very important to update your antivirus and firewall software time to time to avoid such unwanted scams.
Also, one important point which you need considering is to keep check on your bank accounts statements regularly to avoid unknown transactions.
Check to see if your network is safe. www.mycleaninternet.com