In this business era, Cloud Computing has been a hot topic and become a massive part of the framework for global commerce. It will continue to grow day by day as per Cisco's latest Global Cloud Index forecast. Number of things that are in trend such as cloud data centers, private cloud solutions, platform as a service, infrastructure as a service are all considered among the projections for consumer cloud storage.
Cisco's forecasts examine the emerging cloud computing trends resulting in the five year forecast (2013 to 2018). Some of the more notable predictions are as follow:
- There will be a huge increase in global data center traffic
- By the end of 2018, it is expected that annual data center traffic will reach 8.6 zettabytes.
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) cloud workload will be predicted to grow from 41 % in 2013 to 59% in 2018.
- 78% of workload will be processed by cloud data centers and the remaining 22% is handled by traditional data centers.
- Public cloud centers will possess 31% cloud workload while private cloud data centers expected to have 69%
- Decrease in Platform as a services workloads will be expected from 15% in 2013 to 13% in 2018
- According to Cisco's prediction, Infrastructure as a service workload will down from 44% in 2013 to 28% in 2018.
- Internet Of Thing (IOT) will be expected to generate more considerable data in 2018: According to prediction it will be up to 403 zettabytes in 2018 as compared to just 113.4 zettabytes in 2013.
- Public cloud spending will more than double to $127.5
- Greater use of cloud storage for personal storage is expected in 2018.
Among Cisco's top five trends, cloud storage was one of them as a subcategory of “Potential cloud catalyst – IOT”. Due to the large usage of, multiple devices like mobiles and tablets, there will be a new need for “personal content storage” that will store music, images, videos and other essential documents created across the multiple devices. Thus there will be a huge growth in the area.
With the rapid growth of new business solutions/workloads/data in the coming years, more than 60% of organizations will have at least half of their infrastructure and application in cloud.
In the every coming year, you are going to see the changing trends of cloud computing. By 2018, you can compare how the cloud computing technology is transformed from the present year.